Remember the time I shared how I was the perfect mom? Yeah…that time before I ever had kids??
Well once upon a time, when I was a teenager I vowed and promised myself that I would NEVER turn into my mother. Not that my mom was a horrible person, quite the opposite in fact, but when you are a teenager there is no greater thorn in your side than your mama. The constant rain on your rebellious parade. The fact that your mom went out of her way to protect you and want the very best for you was just straight up frustrating at 15 and 16. I mean seriously, the nerve.
And so for years I vowed that when I had my own kids I. WOULD. NEVER. (Man, I was so dumb back then).
Then the other day, as I was getting onto my oldest and using the ol’ “Because I Said So” it finally hit me….I AM MY MOTHER!!
Yup, it happened. Despite all my planning and plotting to do it differently I turned into my mama. And my guess is if you take a big hard look in the mirror, you are turning into your mama too. Should have seen it coming. Not sure if you are quite there yet? Here are some signs.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE BECOMING YOUR MOTHER WHEN…
* You visit Forever 21, H&M, or any other trendy youthful store and think the music is too loud
* You don’t get pop culture references (can someone please explain to me what BAE is)
* You say things like “Because I said so” and “It’s for your own good”
* You can’t keep your kids names straight
* You start to value function over fashion
* Your life’s purpose is finding a good bargain
* One glass of wine and you are tipsy
* You take a multivitamin
* Your kids babysitters or young sales clerks start referring to you as ma’am and madam (I swear I was just their age….now I am, well according to them OLD)
* When you no longer care to have a fully stocked closet but a fully stocked pantry gets you all hyped up.
* When you no longer need to use words to scold your offspring and can simply give them “the look” the one that you no doubt learned from years of having it thrown your way from your own mother
* When you start complaining that the romantic mood lighting in restaurants is too dark
* When you and your friends decide to forgo Happy Hour or nights out dancing and instead plan and orchestrate a neighborhood Bunco. (and for the record Bunco is FUN)
* Your kids think you are lame
I don’t know about you, but I can cross one too many of those items off the list. It’s time to face the genetic facts and know that no matter how much we fight it, it’s inevitable. We all become our mothers some day. And it looks like that day is here sooner than we planned.
Let’s all raise our one allotted wine glass and cheers to getting older and wiser and turning into the women who raised us!
What is one tell tale sign that you are turning into your mother? And what is one thing you vowed to never do as a mom that you are totally doing now that you are?