A good soup is one of my favorite things in the world. Soup is one of this amazing, almost magical foods to me, with the ability to bring you back to a moment or make you feel better. For me, the most magical soup of all is Matzo Ball soup.
It actually amazes me when I meet someone that’s never even heard of it, and it actually happened just the other day. If you’ve never had it, you are missing out.
If you’re not familiar with it, a matzo ball is like a Jewish version of a dumpling, made with egg, some type of fat, and matzo meal. There are endless ways to personalize it, but sometimes you just need a classic recipe to start with. Make this ASAP – I’m positive you’ll love it as much as I do!
Here is what you need to make your own!
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Matzo Meal
- 1 quart reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced at an angle
- 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1 stalk of celery, sliced
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill or 1 Tbsp fresh dill
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and oil, then add matzo meal and salt. Mix until combined and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the matzo meal to absorb the moisture.
- In the meantime, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add carrots, celery, parsley, and dill and reduce to a simmer.
- Take the matzo mixture out and using wet hands (so it doesn't stick to you) form into 16 1-inch balls.
- Add the matzo balls to the simmering stock, one at a time. Simmer for 35-40 minutes - until they are cooked through.
- When the matzo balls are cooked, add the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Enjoy! You can add additional dill and parsley on top if needed!
This recipe is so easy to make and never disappoints. I hope you love it as much as we do.
Share with us some of your family faves that we must try!
And, don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later!